Sunday, April 14, 2013

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

My grandpa is 79!
Well, almost.
His birthday is tomorrow, but because of our busy schedules the family decided to celebrate his big day last night.

My grandma fed us her famous homemade taquitos, brown rice, and spicy beans for dinner and wasted no time in preparing the birthday cake once we finished.
See, my grandpa started a tradition back when we were very little... a tradition that included lighting one candle for every year on his cake and then asking the grandchildren help him blow them out.

I may be in my twenties, but a little fun never hurt anyone. And if a 79 year old man wants to pretend his grandchildren never grow up, then who am I to tell him otherwise??



After dinner, we had to figure out how to put 79 candles on this cake, light them, and sing "Happy Birthday" before the coffee was done (because who eats desert without coffee?)


Robert, Christine, Grandpa

It took us awhile to maneuver all the candles to fit, but we eventually figured it out.



Let's just actually lighting the candles took us quite a bit of time, lighters, and a few extra hands.

TJ, Robert, Zach, Grandpa

TJ, Robert, Grandpa


But about 10 minutes later, it was ready. We wasted no time in singing "Happy Birthday" because, well, we didn't have any time to waste. We could literally see the wax melting all over the cake!



My brother and I both had trouble blowing the candles out. (My sister was at work unfortunately)
I was quite literally out of breath when the ordeal was over.

Me, grandpa, Zach




While everyone feasted on wax-cake, my grandma and I decided to opt out in favor of a delicious carrot cake.



I had an amazing time with my family and my grandpa seemed to really enjoy himself too.
That being said, happy birthday Grandpa!!

P.S. There were plenty of leftovers at the end of the night.

Wax cake anyone??





No comments:

Post a Comment